For the past few weeks I have been working on the goods yard huts, which like many similar prototype structures have been cobbled together from whatever materials were to hand. So my models are a mix of ‘Palight’ foamboard, Slater’s corrugated iron sheet and plain styrene.
The whole project has been somewhat delayed whilst I awaited the delivery of some moulded nuts, bolts and washers, to replicate those used for securing corrugated sheeting.
EDM Models supplied the nuts and bolts, they also stock some useful moulded rivets and other detailing parts.
The small hut is just a simple styrene box, the planking having been scribed onto the styrene with an ‘Olfa Cutter’ prior to assembly
All the bolt holes were drilled out to 0.45 mm, which isn’t as bad as it sounds. In fact I found it to be a rather relaxing exercise, but then again perhaps I need to get out more?
With the basic shell completed the wooden areas were masked off, and a coat of red acrylic primer from a rattle can was applied to the corrugated sheeting. Some areas of the roof were painted a rust colour, mixed up from leather, dark and light earth enamels, with a touch of red. Wet and dry papers of various grades were then used to cut the paint back in random areas to give the effect of corrosion. The same technique was used on the corrugated iron sides but with a little green dry brushed in random areas. Some of the nuts and bolts were given a dab of rust, which were then touched with a brush load of thinners causing streaks of rust to run naturally downwards.
All the wooden areas were painted in green enamel, followed by natural and weathered wood, both of which were dry brushed in random fashion. With the painting completed all the surfaces were dusted with talcum powder, which not only blended everything together but also gave a pleasing faded look.
Simple structures like this, that can be made from odds and ends are ideal as an introduction to scratch building.
A close up of the nuts bolts and washers, after studying the real things I found they were hardly noticeable from a distance, and think simple styrene cubes would have been just as effective. In fact I used some in various places to see if I would notice the difference.
One job I had been avoiding was the windows, in the end I decided to use clear PTEG sheet for the glazing and self adhesive labels for the frames. It is an old technique that can give good results. The frames are built up in layers, and are best painted in watercolours, which can easily be removed from the glazing with a wooden toothpick.
Once I was happy with the huts I bedded them into the ground, and I also worked up the yard surface a little more. The grass is a mix of Greenscene straw and summer static grasses. Some areas have been planted with individual grass tufts, very time consuming but well worth the effort in my opinion.
There is still plenty to keep me occupied in this area, coal scales and sacks, weeds and bushes, the list is endless.
The plan now is to complete the goods shed and more of the yard area, followed by the station building. That little lot should see me through to Christmas, though I’m certainly not working to a deadline!